An outdoor outing is a great way to beat the winter weather blues. Spending time outside after staying indoors helps us reconnect with nature and get serotonin-boosting exercise. Whether you take a brisk walk around the pond here at Seaside Grove, head to the beach or boardwalk, taking the opportunity to enjoy the sun is key.
Brookgreen Gardens, just a short 30-minute drive from Seaside Grove, is a great place to explore exhibits, gardens and wildlife. We’ve put together a list of seven things to do to do while vising one of the top-10 attractions in South Carolina.
- See the Seasonal Blooms: Even though it’s winter, you’ll still be able to see some beautiful flora including Camellia, Daffodils and Sweet Olive.
- Stroll the Lowcountry Trail: This trail consists of a beautiful boardwalk, a restored rice field, sculptures and educational experiences. You can also take an audio tour of the Lowcountry Trail.
- Visit the Zoo: The Native Wildlife Zoo and Domestic Animal Exhibit features animals that live in the woods, swamps and waters of the Lowcountry. The zoo is home to red foxes, river otters, bald eagles, Marsh Tacky Horses, Tunis Sheep, Spanish Goats and more.
- Cypress Aviary: Do some bird watching at the Cypress Aviary, the only known aviary built over an existing cypress swamp. You may see: Black-crowned Night Herons, Egrets, Great Blue Herons, Hooded Merganser and Ibises.
- The Oaks Plantation History and Nature Excursion: From now until March 4, you can travel back roads with an interpreter and hear about the history of the plantation.
- Participate in Gullah Cultural Programs: Learn more about the importance of the Gullah Geechee culture, history, beliefs and crafts at a Gullah Series lecture.
- Volunteer: If you’re interested in contributing your time to serve in all areas of the Brookgreen Gardens, click here. There are more then 50 different opportunities to serve.